Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Dance...A Real Job?!?

In September I quit my "real job". A job that paid decently, had great health benefits, a pension, etc. I quit my job to teach dance. Full time.

I didn't just fling myself into this though.
I have a degree in Kinesiology. I've been bellydancing since 1998. I've been teaching since 2006. I took classes for 8 years, most of that time 2-3 classes/week and I was a part of several performance groups before I ever taught. I've been traveling across Canada to take as many workshops with other dancers as I can.

Now, I am teaching tribal fusion bellydance and hula hoop classes in Halifax, Nova Scotia.
I'm also trying to train as much as I can.


Here's what a typical work week looks like for me:

Sunday:
Teach for 5 hours straight with no breaks!!
Teach hoop hoop
2 hour performance level bellydance class.
Another hula hoop class.
Beginner bellydance class.
Then I go home and eat LOTS of food! Hahahaha.

Monday:
Teach a beginner bellydance class.
Take a 1.5 hour class at Atlantic Cirque. I'm working on hand balancing, tumbling, silks, cerceau (hanging hoop) and hula hoop.

Tuesday:
Teach a hula hoop fitness class.
Work on choreography, class plans, costumes, research, advertising, etc.
Take a ballet class.
Teach a beginner bellydance class.

Wednesday:
Take a yoga class.
Take a pilates class.
Work on choreography, class plans, costumes, research, advertising, etc.
Teach a hula hoop class.

Thursday:
Pretty much the same as Tuesday.
Teach a hula hoop fitness class.
Work on choreography, class plans, costumes, research, advertising, etc.
Take another ballet class.
Teach a bellydance bootcamp drills class.
Rehearse choreography with Mahari (the bellydance troupe that I direct)

Friday:
Take a yoga class.
Take a pilates class.
Work on choreography, class plans, costumes, research, advertising, etc.
Often I have a gig or several gigs and/or take or teach workshops

Saturday:
Take singing lessons. No I cannot sing. That's why I am taking lessons.
Often I have a gig or several gigs and/or take or teach workshops


I am also taking Yoga Teacher Training that is one Friday, Saturday and Sunday every month.

So, that's my schedule right now, and I love it. It's definitely a full time job.
The fact that I'm able to make a living out of Bellydance and Hula Hooping is pretty amazing ♥

5 comments:

  1. Ahhhhh you are my hero for making this work.

    Also I need to write you an epic facebook message again asap. We have lots to catch up on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic! Glad to hear it worked out for you. I'll have to take a private lesson next time i'm back in halifax.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, everything is working out great and more and more opportunities keep coming up all the time :)

    Yes Heather Sara, write me another facebook epic! I love getting them. I want to hear all about how it's going in Toronto.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You forgot to mention your daily "call Laura" break! :D

    You are so freaking awesome and dedicated. Teach me your ways!! I'm so proud/in awe of you! I'm so glad this is working out and you don't hate me for encouraging you to quit your day job. Hahaha!

    LOVE YOU! (and you too Heather!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahah yeah I love my daily lunchtime/wake Laura up phone calls :D

    xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete